Seasonal Lucille’s Garden Assistant (Vegetable Display Garden)
Media, PA, USA
The Garden Assistant is to support the day-to-day functions of Lucille’s Garden which includes but is not limited to the following:
- Planting, weeding, watering, grooming, pest control, harvesting, blowing off leaves, debris, etc. with backpack blower and post-harvest processing which includes the surrounding areas.
- Coordinates and oversees volunteer and intern tasks with the Curator. When the Curator is absent, Assistant will supervise volunteers.
- Provides visitor information regarding Lucille’s Garden, Tyler Arboretum and general gardening advice.
- Provides support for the upkeep of the Production Information Data as well as plant labels and instructional signage in the garden.
- Provides support for garden construction and completes some light janitorial duties as assigned.
- Performs storm cleanup: picking up sticks, mud removal, blowing off leaves/debris, raking, moving patio furniture etc.
- Work up to 2 weekends per month – schedule TBD
- Have experience working outdoors: landscaping, conservation and other projects, interfacing with customers/guests, etc. required.
- Have experience growing organic vegetables and knowledge of basic gardening principles, desirable.
- Must be detailed oriented, self-directed, outgoing, flexible, organized and be able to think on one’s feet, required.
- Experience working with volunteers and interns preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively: verbally and in writing is required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Suite, preferred.
- A desire to learn and experience new processes and ideas, required.
- An associate’s degree in horticulture or any conservation field, desirable.
- General work on the Arboretum’s grounds.
- Requires frequent and prolonged equipment use, standing, walking, bending, kneeling, pulling, twisting and climbing.
- Must be able to frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
Tyler Arboretum, a public garden in the Philadelphia suburbs, covers 650 acres of renowned plant collections, champion trees, historic buildings, with 17 miles of hiking trails through woodlands, wetlands, and meadows. Tyler offers workshops, classes, and tours for adults and children throughout the year.
** No benefits, reporting to the Curator at Lucille’s Garden, department supervisor: Director of Community Engagement.
Your application has been successfully submitted.