Nursery/Perennials Department Manager
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Homestead Gardens, the largest enclosed garden center in the Baltimore and Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and one of the country's leading garden centers, has an immediate job opportunity for a full-time Nursery/Perennials Department at our Davidsonville, MD location.
Essential duties for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Manage and supervise daily operations of the Nursery/Perennials Department and its staff including preparation of work schedules and performance management
- Supervise and monitor overall quality control and maintenance of the Nursery/Perennials area
- Oversee pruning, fertilization, watering, insect and disease prevention and weed control of the Nursery/Perennials retail sales yard and surrounding display plantings
- Oversee the receiving of Nursery/Perennials material and directs the placement of the plant material in the retail sales yard, working with the Nursery Category Manager and the Perennials Category Manager
- Work to create outstanding displays to promote trees, shrubs, ground covers and perennials
- Develop and administer department payroll budget, working closely with the General Manager and CFO
- Work closely with the respective Category Managers to develop and monitor department's sales and product margin management through mark downs and adjustments
- Provides input on advertising, promotions and workshops
- Responsible for opening and closing the Retail Store as scheduled
- Ability to supervise and monitor overall product quality control and product maintenance
- Nursery/Perennial plant care knowledge
- Ability to work in a team environment as a leader and a member of the team
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some weekends and evenings during busy periods
- Experience in budgetary management, developing and meeting annual sales goals
- Highly organized with good analytical skills
- Attention to detail with the ability to think creatively and operate with some flexibility
- Good computer/technology skills, with a willingness to grow
- Great customer service skills and communication skills
A Bachelor's degree in an Horticulture discipline or minimum of three years equivalent work experience in a retail garden center or agriculture environment are required. Knowledge of tress, shrubs, and plants is a must.
Your application has been successfully submitted.